Friday, February 23, 2007

External HD

I know there are a couple of techies who sometimes stumble in here, so I have a question:
I am looking for an external HD. I have a library program, Libronix, that is oh, 6 gigs (it contains literally thousands of books in digital format, all searchable, pretty cool), and could expand quite a bit. They let you install it on multiple computers (3, I think), so I got to thinking that I could install the base program on my wife's laptop, then install the library on an external HD so as to not fill her internal HD
So, I need to know if I should go with a USB or Firewire connection, or both. I want to be able to (fairly) quickly search the library when I am in class or on the road somewhere. It doesn't have to be lighting, but 3 hours won't cut it either.
Here is another issue. My desktop does not have USB 2.0 (thank you Lexar) or a Firewire connection, so if I want to transfer anything, is there a Firewire card for PC's, or a way to repair my USB 2.0 bus (I think the Lexar jump drive fried it, but I haven't had the time to look at it, not that I could tell. Suffice that anything I plug into my front USB ports gives me the popup "USB device found.....There is a malfunction with your device, unplug it and try again.")?
Any advice will be received with gladness and thankfulness.

3 comments:

Bill said...

USB 2 or Firewire should be fast enough. Personally, I prefer USB 2, but either would work for you (you can't use both at the same time).

As for your machine, if the USB bus is damaged, a USB 2 PCI card would be fairly inexpensive to pick up and very easy to install. I would think you'd want to do that anyway to be able to use USB 2 devices again :)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Bill said!

BTW, if you can't get a USB HD with the price/capacity that you want, then let me know. We can figure something out with a HD and a portable USB drive caddy.

psychobob said...

Thanks guys!
I will probably go buy a USB PCI card. I've got lots of room back there, I just like having the front access, you know?
Thanks Phil! I found an external Western Digital 250 gig USB 2.0 HD for 129.00 over at PC Club. I might do that.