Saturday, August 05, 2006

Back from Vacation

Got back from vacation and apparently a week being unhooked from power, then re-connected caused my power supply to fry. I had to go get a new one, but I was so busy with other stuff, I just now got around to it!
I've been tagged!
Angie the "IBEX Scribe" tagged me.
1. One book that changed your life: Being the complete dork I am, I cannot say, "the Bible" as the Bible is actually a compilation of many works. As far as "writings," I would say James' letter. My wife and I went through it this winter, and thoroughly got our butts kicked. Other than sacred writings, Wild At Heart by John Eldrege and Every Man's Battle by Steve Arterburn and Fred Stoeker. Wild At Heart has been criticized for some of it's theological issues, but the central theme of it is solid, that men need to be men. We need adventure, risk, and "battle." I think it may have changed my wife as much as or more than me. Every Man's should be read by every man. We do not realize the hold our culture has on us through sexuality. Christian men must by "constantly vigilant," as my wife and I like to say, against falling into sexual sin (especially through our eyes and thoughts). I realize that was more than one, but it's my Blog - deal.

2. One book that you've read more than once: All of my Calvin and Hobbes compilations. I don't know how many times I've read Revenge of the Baby Sat. Connecting to the previous answer, Calvin and Hobbes cartoons present my view of the perfect life of a boy (Here's a site dedicated to Calvin's snow art).

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: It began as one book, but has been subsequently broken into 5 volumes, but the Dune series. It takes a looooong time to get through them. By the time you get through the whole series, you forget what happened before. I think it would also take years of thought to understand what Frank Herbert was trying to say.

4. One book that made you laugh: See answer to question 2.

5. One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]: Charlotte's Web.

6. One book that you wish had been written: A fictitious story of how Russia progressed as the West did, set in the early 1800's. Eastern Russia is akin to the western USA. Oh yeah, and the Mongols rise to power a few centuries later than real life and threaten Russia. Too bad for them Russiaentrepreneursrs have perfected the self-contained center fire rifle. Instead of "Winchesters" and "Colts" it's Mosin rifles and Nagant revolvers. Europe is stuck in the Dark Ages as well, and America is only inhabited by Indians (until Russian explorers reach the Bearing Sea and begin colonizing the West Coast). I think I've been reading too much alternative history and playing Rise of Nations.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: I like Angie's answer of The Book of Mormon.

8. One book you're currently reading: Around the World in Eighty Days, by Verne

9. One book you've been meaning to read: The Spreading Flame, by F.F. Bruce

10. Now tag five people: Karen, Bill (If he reads this :-) ), umm, don't really know anyone else with a blog.
I will write more about our trip at a later date, but I thought this was fun, so I did it first.

3 comments:

Cherie said...

Wild at Heart has been a big hit around here, too. I have read it three times over the past several years. Tom has read it twice, and Joe has a copy in his bookcase. The whole book is enlightening to women as it gives us much needed insight into MEN, adjusting our perception. For the ladies, Eldredge and his wife have authored 'Captivating'. It's pretty good, but I like Wild better. Yes, there is some very iffy stuff in Wild, but a discerning person can pick out what is useful and toss the occassional weird. Tom and Joe went to a Wild at Heart retreat a few years back and came back changed for the better! Society does a major trip with men. Wild at Heart does a good job of adjusting things back to an almost forgotten normal. Glad you have found John, E., Bob! I shall check out the other book you mentioned. Thanks!

(You know, men have that constant assault on their eyes and such when it comes to overt sexuality and promiscuity in our culture. What seems to me to be overlooked is that women who read romance novels or watch certain chick flicks, even Christian ones, that take them off into fantasy lands with that 'wise, sensitive, attentive, good-looking, rugged, whatever you need but don't have' sort of man, are doing the same thing. Lying to their hearts, emotions, and minds and treading down the path to sin. What man wants a woman whose heart yearns for what he isn't or can't be, or worse yet, fantasizes of someone else when she's with him? What do you think?)

Angie said...

Interesting list! I always like to know what other people read and what they think of what they are reading. Books are awesome!

psychobob said...

Very true Cherie! We saw evidence of that kind of thing when we worked in jr/high school youth group. A certain young woman read those "Christian" romance novels, then proceeded to "persue" one of the hapless youung men. We let both sets parents know we were concerned and were answered with, "If they want to practice dating they should do it in the safety of the youth group!" Grrrr.
Angie:BOOKS ARE COMPLETELY AWESOME! I am finding that I have to read so much for seminary that I don't do much reading for fun. Ahh well.