Wednesday, December 13, 2006

He Is The Same Yesterday, Today And Forever

And as for you Son of Man, thus says the Lord God;
Speak to every sort of bird and every beast of the field:
"Assemble yourselves and come;
Gather together from all sides to My
sacrificial meal
Which I am preparing for you,
A great sacrificial meal on the mountains of
Israel,
That you may eat the flesh and drink the blood.
You shall eat the flesh of the mighty,
Drink the blood of the princes of the earth,
Of rams and lambs,
Of goats and bulls,
All of them the fatlings of Bashan.
You shall eat till you are full,
And drink blood till you are drunk,
At My sacrificial meal
Which I am sacrificing for you.
You shall be filled at My table
With horses and riders,
With mighty men
And with the men of war,"
Says the Lord GOD.
Ezekiel 39:17-20

3 comments:

Cherie said...

I've come here several times to read your Bible passage, Bob, and I'm still wondering what you were thinking when you put it up. I'm going to look it up in my Bible tonight and read the context. Maybe that will help me.

The title plays into it, too.

Maybe I'm making it too hard.

Maybe I am too daft - and it's obvious.

Maybe you will help me understand what this means to you?

psychobob said...

Oh sometimes I like to stir the waters a little...
People in the church today tend to have a limited view of God. They like to emphasise His love, mercy, etc...which is important, but it is not all He is. In order to fully understand the God we serve, we need to study the Old Testament as well. This passage is the aftermath of the battle at Armagheddon (lit. Aram-Meggido, the Plains of Meggido) which is in the future. So a study of the past is essential in helping us know the future when it comes to God.
Also, there are those today who say there is no hell because "a loving God would never send someone to eternal suffering." Only probelm is that this is a limited view. He is a loving God. He is also just, righteous, and keeps His promises. He is also "immutable"(unchanging). So the argument limits God, who is infinate.
As to your question, what "this means" to me, I'm not sure what you mean. The meaning of the passage, derived from the context, is that God will protect Israel by destroying the nations who war against it in the last days, so much so that the carrion birds and scavengers will be "full" and "drunk." Hope that helps.

Cherie said...

You answered the what that 'means to you' question in the first 2/3 of your answer. Thanks. I figured you were trying to send a message, just wondered for sure what it was. Waters stirred.

You have a good point - one that many Christians are trying to get across these days.

So, thanks, and again, Merry Christmas!